- Quick release version:
- 140 mm long
- Can be adapted to rear hub spacings from 115 to 130 mm
- Drilled for quick release
- Chainrest version:
- stub end that drilled to receive wing screw
- stub end ensures that the axle doesn't extend beyond the outer edge of the freewheel, so the wheel clears the chain as it is removed.
- axle is sized for 5-speed freewheels, but can be machined down for 4-speed.
- Click on the drawing to see a high-resolution version
- Machined from CrMo steel and heat treated – even stronger than the originals
- Made in Taiwan
Compass Replacement Axle for Maxi-Car Rear Hubs
Maxi-Car hubs are probably the best hubs ever made. With double labyrinth seals, they spin smoothly for decades. Unfortunately, they haven’t been made in 15 years, and when you find a used one, it often doesn’t have the axle length you need. Compass Bicycles offers reproduction Maxi-Car rear axles in two versions: One for quick releases and a second for a Nivex-style chainrest.
Step-by-step instructions for overhauling Maxi-Car hubs are available in Bicycle Quarterly 8 (Summer 2004).